February 5, 2011

Pest Control

We had two days of "normal".  Ahh!  It was so nice.  And then...

Yesterday, all was peaceful in the morning.  In fact, when I went to get the kids up my oldest daughter was excited to show me how wonderful her little brother CKS was doing.  He woke up cheerful.  He did not have to rush to the bathroom.  He was talking and talking and talking and he was telling her about his dreams.  He told her four dreams and they were creative and imaginative stories.

One "dream" was that he bought a chicken and four baby chickens.  Chickens are farm pets so they would need a barn.  He went to the barn store and bought a barn.  It was heavy.  He had someone help him carry it home in the box.  The chickens were hungry so he went to the chicken food store and bought some food for the chickens.  And on it went...

The morning went very well and we got everything done in record time.  We had a little time before lunch so we went outside to check out the ice and icicles all over the cars and trashcans and rooflines.  We live in Houston and are not used to the cold weather, so we did not stay too long.

We went back in the house to get lunch on the table and CKS was clingy and irritable.  He was very rigid and had to have things just so.  He had his hands in his mouth and was complaining about everything.  We were all saying, "What happened to CKS?!?"

It was such an immediate change.  We couldn't figure out what happened.  We had not eaten anything yet.  Maybe he was just hungry, we thought.

He continued to have problems all the rest of the day even after he ate.  His daddy came home from his retreat and CKS was still not doing well.  He clung to me and didn't want to be away from me.  He told me at bedtime that he didn't feel well and that he was having trouble catching his breath.  He took hours to fall asleep.

We were puzzled over what had caused this regression.  Just before my husband and I went to bed, my husband mentioned that he saw the receipt from the quarterly pest control and asked if that could be it.  The bug guy had come the day before.  Maybe CKS had gotten his hands in a place that had been sprayed and then put his hands in his mouth.  Possible.  I follow the bug guy around and make sure he only sprays behind bookshelves and heavy furniture and such, but he sometimes gets a few places I would prefer he didn't, so it is possible that this is what happened.

However, this morning I was thinking about when CKS began to regress and I remembered that the bug guy came the day before and that it was cold outside.  Instead of spraying around the perimeter of the house and yard, he sprinkled granules around the house.  Ack!  We had never done that before!  We won't be doing that again!  CKS regressed before lunch and after we went outside to check out the icicles.  The kids walked on the granules.  CKS took his own shoes off and put them away when we came inside.  I think it is a reasonable conclusion that it was the bug poison that caused his regression.

Some of the rest of us had troubles, too.  I was so frustrated and upset until I figured this out because I had taken out the bone broths and had gotten things back to good again and I had changed nothing in the diet to cause any regressions.  I thought, "What more can I do?"

Today has been better, but not great.  Maybe by tomorrow things will settle out again.

No comments:

Post a Comment