December 9, 2010

Raw Dairy

OK, so I am determined to take the dairy out. I am not willing to live with the regressions and the discomforts if it is from an intolerance, which I am sure it is. Yesterday, I served no butter and we used very little ghee. I slept better, was less stuffy, and I could actually get my ring off in the morning, although I was still a little swollen. CKS also seemed to be a bit better today, just a bit. He did not look like he felt miserable all day. His eye contact was a bit better (I think), and he had better control of his emotions. Yay!

This morning I was thinking about how it took about a year before we could tolerate egg yolks and how, when we finally tried again after re-starting intro, they were eggs from Farmer Brown's pastured chickens. I am still afraid to try yolks from store-bought eggs, even if they DO claim to be free-range. The regressions were not fun to see my little boy suffer through.

I also read in the GAPS book that when you introduce yoghurt, that it is best to use raw milk. I started to think about the fact that the organic butter I buy from the store is not raw. It is probably made from pasteurized milk. MAYBE, if we try again with raw butter and ghee made from raw butter, we will finally be able to tolerate dairy. Oh, I hope so!

Anyway, the first step is to take the dairy out and get back to 'normal' again. The second step is to try to add more variety of vegetables to our diet. The third step is to find some raw butter and try again. I could also try yogurt and kefir made from goats milk, if I can find a good source of fresh raw goats milk. I do NOT like the taste of goats milk that I have purchased from the store, but I have heard that fresh raw milk from a healthy goat is good. I am a city girl and know nothing about these things.

No more dairy for now (well, maybe by next week, as I have already cooked some meals for this week and we will need to eat it up).

1 comment:

  1. You need to get raw goats milk from someone who knows what they are doing. Goats that have mineral deficiencies and inbalances often make strong, "goaty" milk. Swiss Alpine goats make nice sweet milk.

    If for some reason you find raw goats milk intolerable, separating it into curds and whey can help. Whey is very healthy for sick people.

    "Cooked" goats milk from the store is rather useless, don't use it. Cows milk tends to be acid, while goats milk is alkaline.

    Proverbs 27:27 "And [thou shalt have] goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and [for] the maintenance for thy maidens."

    ReplyDelete