October 27, 2009

Day 51 - It was a Good Day

Today was a GREAT day!  Oh, it feels so good to be able to say that again.  I do NOT feel angry and mad at the world like I did all last week.  I am myself again and it feels so good.

The dishwasher broke and we had to wash all of the dishes by hand.  Oh, well.  Our 8 year old started to think about how much water we waste by running the dishwasher 3 times a day and decided that we could save a lot of water by soaking dishes in the same sink water all day and washing and rinsing them by hand.  We actually had fun spending most of the day in the kitchen together.  We cooked, we cleaned, we ate.

We cooked 25 pounds of Hamburger Soup.  I wanted to see how much my large stockpot could hold and how many days of lunches we can get out of it.  We are trying to figure out how we will stay on the GAPS diet as we travel to Chicago and back next month.  It will be a challenge, but it will be fun, too.

I made the most delicious pie today!  It is not too sweet, as it has no sugar or honey or any kind of sweetner, but it was sweet enough, as it was made from Sweet Dumpling squash.  We have discovered that there are many kinds of squash out there and the all have a very unique flavor.  Our two year old tased the Sweet Dumpling squash and blurted out, "Pancakes!"  He was right.  It tastes a lot like the GFCF pancakes that we used to make.  I will post the recipe in a seperate post.  YUM!!!  There were no leftovers.  One whole pie was eaten by 5 of us.

Schoolwork was completed in good time and with a good attitude.  That always makes my day.  Laundry for the day was finished and put away by bedtime.  That always feels good.  We kept up with the dishes somehow, even though we had to wash them all by hand.  It was so nice to have everyone pitching in and helping out where needed.

We have all been going through some major die-off for the past few days.  I have been increasing the sauerkraut juice a little every day.  It's rough.  I felt like I had the flu last night, but I knew it was die-off.  I took three detox baths and still went to bed with a stuffy nose, a headache and achy muscles, although I felt better after the baths than before.  I woke up this morning feeling fine.  The kids have been a little droopy here and there.  One child had a headache tonight and had to take a second bath after bedtime so she could feel well enough to go to sleep.  I promised to wait until the weekend to increase the sauerkraut juice anymore.  We need a little break from the die-off.  It's only fair to have a few days to feel good and full of energy.

This is far from complete, but I do need to sleep.  I will write more when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment