September 19, 2009

Leg Pain - What to Do? / Rough Night!

We had a rough night last night.  Our 5 year old started complaining that her leg was hurting her right around dinnertime.  An Epsom Salt bath helped for a while.  Then, she ate a second dinner and had some Natural Calm (magnesium citrate).  Her legs were bothering her again.  At bedtime, she cried and cried.  Daddy brought her out to the couch in the living room and she cried and cried.  She finally went to sleep, but she was restless and woke up easily and often.  This is not new (She has been waking in the night 3-4 times a week since she was an infant.) or GAPS related, it is just that we used to give her the sugar laden very sweet Motrin.  Now we are trying to figure out the cause so we can remedy the situation with something natural.  Magnesium was obviously not the answer!  What to do?  I didn't know what to do, so I prayed that God would help me find the answer.

I did some searches on the GAPShelp archive and found several excellent posts on the subject and learned that there needs to be a balance of magnesium, sodium, calcium and potassium.  Maybe she was low on one of these other minerals.  Someone had posted that they started drinking mineral water and that solved the leg pain, so at a quarter past midnight I went to the drugstore and bought some FIJI water.  She woke up again when I came through the front door, so I gave her some of the water.  She drank just a little bit and fell asleep again.  This time she was resting peacefully.  After a bit, I carried her in to her room and put her to bed and she stayed all through the night.  I can't say if it was the water or if she just got so tired, but I think I will give her some of the mineral water every day and see if she continues to get leg pain again.

I posted my situation to others on the list and recieved several other suggestions.  Drink lots of water.  If the leg pain occurs on particularly active days, then it could be structural and she may need orthotics.  I will keep my eyes open and pay attention to how much water she drinks and whether or not she is very active on the days she complains of pain in her legs.

Oh, it was a rough night because it started out with the leg pain, then the baby didn't want to stay asleep when I tried to lay him down, and the 2 year old woke up crying at 6 in the morning, but he never really woke up, just cried and cried in his sleep.  Daddy and I were quite tired today.

No comments:

Post a Comment